Welcome to the Winter Express – Blog Train where 33 awesome bloggers write about different topics related to this beautiful winter season from their own unique perspectives. Expect tips and tricks, recipes, stories, cherished memories and many more. You would love to have a magical ride with our Winter Express.
I would like to Thank “Papri Ganguly “for introducing me and sending across the Winter Express to my station.
Foods To Eat During Winters :
“Winter is the time for comfort, for food food and warmth”- Edith Sitwell
It’s the winters that make you cozy up, that make you crave for something hearty and rich & it is winters that give you reasons to indulge in your favourite foods. Remember that what you want, isn’t usually what your body is craving for. We tend to make wrong decisions and pack up the pounds during winters, which are super hard to get rid off during the summers. And, who doesn’t want a “beach body” during those summers, isn’t it?
Here’s a list of the kinds of food, you should be incorporating in your winter diet :
- Nuts – All kinds of them. Take your pick and keep yourself warm with a handful of your choice, specially Almonds & Walnuts. Try making badaam ka Halwa, Walnut bread, Granola Bars, etc.
- Leafy greens- Very surprisingly, your leafy greens are an excellent source of vitamins and body warming properties. Leafy greens like Spinach, Coriander, Amaranth, Mustard greens, Fenugreek, etc are not only delicious to devour but can be incorporated into your dishes in many ways. My favourites are the ” Sarson Da Saag, Basil Pesto Sauce, Methi Theplas”
- Meat : It is a no brainer, but yes meat of any kind is your source of solid nutrition during the winters. Lean meat, poultry & fish. The season calls for ” Nalli Nihari, Haleem & Barbecued Chicken” at my place.
- Whole grain cereals : Along with being delicious, whole grains are considered to have a warming property as well as a feeling of satiation when eaten. A few examples are “Pearl Millet, Finger Millet, Wheat, etc”. I love having bajra rotis and Ragi roti during this season.
- Spices and Herbs : Being an Indian, Spices and Herbs are the daily way of life and form a strict staple in our lives as well. “Garam Masala, thyme, Sumac, etc” get put to their full use during this season.
- Fresh fruits : Fruits which are loaded with Vitamin C, help in building up your immunity and are a must have in the winters. Gooseberries, papaya, apples, oranges, etc. Blend them up in a milkshake, have gooseberry murraba, make apple pies or apple butters as well.
So, go ahead cuddle up and enjoy the winters with these delectable goodies to warm you up.
Happy winters & have a great holiday season, y’all.
What’s your favourite winter food?
I hope you enjoyed reading my post. Now, it is the time for departure, so meet Winter Express next at “Deepanita ‘s” Station. Stay hooked to this journey with the Winter Express!!!
p.s: All pictures are sourced from pixabay and are free to use.