Well,it’s pretty agonizing that the beautiful month of Ramadan has departed. We’re all back to the 9-5 routines and having lunches in the afternoon.
OMG!!! I had forgotten what a lunch was 😁 Well,it totally feels whoopin- loopin great to be back to lunch dates,lunch meets,casual snacking & mindless eats. I still feel a pang of guilt when I reach for that glass of water & then in gently reminded that I’m not fasting. ( I’m sure all Fasting Muslims will true me on this)
With happy memories still lingering in my mind,I present to you:
THINGS WE RELISHED DURING RAMADAN:
1. CHARITY: I’m pretty happy with the way Ramadan went. I was on a lookout for a worthy receiver of ” Zakat”. The happiest moment for me was finding that person. Though,I didn’t give him like alot,because apparently there are quite a number of people who rely for the “Zakat” j usually it’s impossible to just give the whole sum to one person. That being said,nothing equalled my happiness in giving him whatever I could.
Just clicking on the online charity button doesn’t mean that your job is done. The Charity obligation is only fulfilled when you go out, search,enquire & empathise with someone & their problems. This way,you’re grateful to Allah swt for the mercies he has bestowed upon you & it is also a gentle reminder to you about how you could have been on the receiving end,but Allah swt chose you for the giving end. It’s all about being grateful & empathetic.
2. HALEEM: Mamma Mia, did I have a great time devouring haleem during Ramadan or what. My mum makes the most fantabulous haleem in the world. Take my word..I’m a self proclaimed Foodie. Haleem is a lipsmacking porridge made outta bulgur wheat and meat. Given a good dose of Indian spices & made like it just came from Heaven. Also served with crispy delicious onions,lemon wedges,cashews& mint.
This was such a beauty,it also became a health supplement for us during Ramadan. With so much of goodness,we all scavenged it like vultures.
3. Date shakes: We couldn’t eat Haleem everyday now,could we? That’d be nauseating. So,what we had our can’t live without drink which was the deliciously easy ” DATE SHAKE”. We made so many versions of it. Like the classic,caramel& cream,chocolate chip cookies,mint,vanilla bean&icecream,etc..
The date shake was an absolute must have. Revitalising you within minutes and punch packed with goodies inside.
4.AJWA CHOCOLATES: Another date-y thing,but this was just such an exclusive TREAT for us. We had them cargoes to us,courtesy papa.We used to mindless snack from 9pm till suhoor(well before that) and these delicious AJWA CHOCOLATES were such soul savers. Not only were they amazing,but they also gave my sweet cravings a ticket back home. They were beautiful Ajwa dates coated with heavenly chocolate. Match made in heaven.
5. INCENSING THE HOUSE: Our evenings would have a little “OUD AKA BAQOOR TIME” where we used to perfume the house with exquisite OUD & incenses from the Middle East. This gave you a sense of warmth,happiness & made it feel so Ramadan-y. BAQOOR is a delicate mix of natural aromatics which when added to hot coals give out incensed fumes,which in turn perfumes your house,protects it against little bugs & also keeps your house warm. The combinations of BAQOOR are many,& each one a special piece.
6. FRIED CHICKEN: Some good ole chicken battered and fried is always someone’s comfort food in the house. We did a lot of fried chicken during Ramadan,which used to be the go to dish for any hunger pang after Iftar.
7. CHEESE FONDUE SALADS: Ramadan’s are always a great time to do salads. We had lots of cheese fondue salads this time. Did experimenting & the results were just fab. I had blanched all veggies,given them a little grilling and dunked in a secret fondue. Gosh!! The craving!! Super delicious!!
8. NEW VELVET CURTAINS: Nothing’s is as luxurious as velvet,we got super sexy Pinkish Red curtains this Ramadan. Velvet’s finding its way into everything,why must curtains stay behind?The whole look of the living room just changed. Red curtains are Botox injections for your boring living rooms.
9. FINDING THE MOST AFFORDABLE TAKEAWAY JOINT: So,we found the most affordable-st takeaway joint ever. I went cray,the food just passes the average border and is a middling to fair affair. This place called “CHINA HUT” had me thinking if he could even recover any money. The hygiene levels are good and you really wouldn’t need to worry about that. Again a saviour during snack attacks.
10. SURPRISE VISIT BY PAPA: If Ramadan had lacked anything,it was Papa.. He said,he couldn’t make it this Eid as he was on a business tour. 😔😔 sad was I, until he called us one night and said that,his cousin brother had missed his connecting flight in Bangalore and we had to pick him up. *grumble me*
I’m like thinking ” Stupid Uncle,now I have to go to the airport. Damn it’s 3 am” We go there are… Viola.. 😳😳😳😦😦
“No way!! Papa!!” And I burst into a fit of happy tears. We had the most special Eid ever. I love my father to the zeniths. He’s made me who I am.. I just wish I can be half as much successful as he is in his character & career. Allahumabarik!!
11. RELATIONSHIPS & HOW FAKE PEOPLE ARE: Yep! This Ramadan it was a personal thing. I saw people chameleon-ize themselves,I saw people sell their values for money & I saw people trying to push us back to rush in first. You see Ramadan or no Ramadan,what matters is who you really are. How much are you willing to bargain for this life? How much are you ready to give up for things which you wouldn’t take into the hereafter. This Ramadan gave me the biggest gift of wisdom & experience. Now I’ve developed a taste for bitter things too😂😂
Did you like the things I relished? What are the things that you relish in your life? Do comment below & let’s start talking. ❤️❤️